Monday, February 15, 2010

That Awareness Thing

In my last blog I talked about the incredibly important need for missionary leaders to be self aware. I’d like to share some more thoughts about this subject before moving on. There is a theory called the Johari Window, developed by Luft and Ingham, which explains through a grid of four windows the principle of self-awareness. These windows define how persons give and receive information about themselves and others. The theory speaks to the power of feedback to help an individual grow in self awareness. The four windows include:
ARENA which defines information a person knows about him/herself and information others know about him/her
BLINDSPOT which is information a person does not know about him/herself but is known by other people
FAÇADE which describes the degree to which a person shares information about him/herself
UNKNOWN which is information not known by the individual about him/herself and information other people do not know either.

Since studying this theory I have tested it in my observations of leaders. First, I started with myself. I think my cautious reaction to receiving feedback is shared by most others in the human race. I don’t want to hear things about myself that might sting, but I have grown in my understanding of the critical nature of seeing myself through others in order that I can self evaluate and work to be a better representation of Christ. Mother Teresa said, “Just allow people to see Jesus in you”. That is a tall order but necessary for all leaders who seek to be faithful. Since embarking on my intentional journey to grow in self awareness I have learned many things about myself. I continue to have my blindspots revealed. It is a bit like seeing through a glass dimly when sudden light brings my vision into focus. With each revelation comes an opportunity to change, to grow in humility and personal strength. It can be a double edged sword that if used well can be an instrument for good. A quick personal example. I am a tall woman and I was well into mid life before I realized that my physical height could be intimidating. It took nearly running over a very short person with a grocery cart and her reactionary admonishment that I realized I must be sensitive to the way I carry myself. That seems so minor, but the revelation that my very physical size could be intimidating changed the way I move. It heightened my sensitivity to those around me in a good way.

Over the years secular businesses in America have put into place ‘performance reviews’.
The intention is often to help a person see what others see, to complement achievements and to encourage working on challenges and setting personal goals. As difficult as reviews may be, they have the potential to break through blindspots and facades. If done well, a person can walk away from them with a heightened self awareness and opportunity to grow. The practice of performance reviews can translate to the culture of the church if thoughtfully done. Everything depends on the intent. Performance reviews in the church should never be used as a tool to unseat a leader. They can easily become a weapon if that is the reason for utilizing them. However, once the practice is put into play for the periodic review of church leaders including clergy, staff, and laity, it has the potential to pro-actively address small challenges that otherwise can become explosive. Well done reviews create the opportunity for leaders to become better representations of Christ to each other and those they lead. Please note, reviews for all categories of leaders should be utilized, not just for clergy. All leaders in the church should strive to give their best, to trust each other in the context of their ministry, and to work together as the Body of Christ. This is inter-dependent, systemic work. What is good for one is good for all.

The Diocese of Texas has recently created review forms that will be put on line this week under the Iona banner at http://www.epicenter.org/ . The intent is that they be used for personal growth in self awareness of church leaders. They are documents developed with a sensitivity to the uniqueness of leading in the Church.

Establishing new practices of review takes courage, humility and faith. Sounds like Christian discipline doesn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment