Monday, November 1, 2010

Sharing Faith Stories

NO excuses for not having written this blog since the first week of October. However, I have been in three other dioceses working with clergy, bishops and laity on congregational development and then back home to oversee our own clergy conference. (What's that about no excuses?) There seem to be common themes amongst all of these circles. One is the undercurrent of a sense of urgency about the need for change in our churches. It feels like there is a sense of anxiety about what that means. People are talking about needed change but many can't define what exactly needs change. The other themes I am hearing are 'doing more with less' and the challenge of 'what to do with empty buildings'. But there is a common theme I am also hearing and that is 'sharing our faith stories'. All of a sudden lots of folks are asking how to help others articulate their faith.

I find the first three themes to be predictable at a time the statistics tell us that attendance numbers are slowly decreasing, we have aging congregations and we have an abundance of property. But the fourth, concerning sharing our faith as individuals, is, indeed, very hopeful.

I frankly don't care what has caused the tidal wave of interest in this topic, I am just glad it is being talked about. I have been an Episcopalian all my life and I remember the stigma attached to talking about one's personal relationship with God in Christ. I have heard numerous people say that they ran away from other denominations that emphasized this activity and were so glad that the ability or williness to share one's faith didn't seem to be important or 'required' as Episcopalians. This comment was often followed with a seeming sigh of relief. A defining description has often been that 'Episcopalians live out the faith not talk about it.'

There is so much our church has to offer, especially to persons who appreciate the opportunity to ask questions and not be judged for doubting. Perhaps it has been this culture of acceptance that has inhibited the certitude of faith sharing. But there comes a point when our inability to be open about our spiritual lives diminishes us. I find that bonds of friendship and community grow dramatically when individuals and communities articulate the power of God in our lives. So many of us have experienced blessing, transformation, reconciliation even the miraculous because of our faith. These are stories of hope and power. These are stories that should be shared, dare I say, must be shared to those who do not know God.

It will be messy and perhaps uncomfortable to take on new practices of sharing our faith stories as Episcopalians. I am convinced we will all be the better for it. I think it has something to do with what Jesus asked of us..... Let's encourage these new ways of living together as believers. I can't wait to hear the stories of my fellow Episcopalians who will hopefullly grow in their ability to tell them!

No comments:

Post a Comment