Sunday, April 25, 2010

Listening to My Gut

Jesus was very direct with the Jews who doubted him that day in the temple areas as he walked in Solomon's Colonnade. When they gathered around him saying they wanted him to tell them plainly if he was the Christ, Jesus reminded them that he HAD told them, but they didn't believe. He also went on to say that his sheep listen to his voice, he knew them, and they knew and followed him. That 'no one would snatch them out of his hand.'

How does anyone hear Jesus' voice? It is bound to be unique for everyone. The point is to be open to hear it, to listen for it. It is so important to understand that the Creator of all things might choose to communicate in extraordinary, unexpected ways. God speaks to us every day and we are often deaf to that voice. This calls for an intentional working on our listening capacity. It calls for a heightened sensitivity to what is happening in our world. When was the last time that you discerned God's voice? What was the circumstance?

I have learned to 'listen' with my gut. I quite literally get a visceral reaction to certain situations. I have come to trust that feeling, to know that God is requiring something of me that I can't ignore and know that if I don't act, I am failing to be faithful. This doesn't happen to me everyday, but it happens more and more as I get older and my spiritual relationship with God has quickened. I reflect back on some key turning points in my life and persons close to me where my response to listening to God through my gut and the resulting action that I took has literally changed the course of life. An example was a time when this overwhelming gut feeling told me to arrange a surprise trip for my sister to go to Europe. That sort of thing is not my style, but I listened to my gut and, to make a long story very short, this gift resulted in her marriage and move to Australia where she has been for 25 years and has had a remarkable life. Looking back I can recognize many situations where God seemed to be speaking to me through my gut. I now welcome that feeling because of its clarity.

As a leader and person who works, mentors and teaches leaders, I keenly understand the importance of having faith, taking risks, believing that God purposes us and is there to guide us if we will only listen. How does God speak to you? What will you do to become more sensitive to hearing the voice of Jesus? Think about it. Your sensitivity may result in personal transformation and be a blessing to others. As for me, I will continue to keep listening with my gut.

No comments:

Post a Comment