Monday, September 27, 2010

Helping People Understand and Discover

I just returned from a three day retreat in Indiana where I had plenty of time to create an environment of self reflection, lots of discussion, bible study and learning for a group of 50 people. It was about getting in touch with one's God-given passion, giftedness and call. The teachings were grounded in raising awareness of how the Holy Spirit dwells in each of us and is yearning to work through us so that others can see that glimpse of God. This is a new understanding for lots of Episcopalians to internalize. It has huge implications and becomes an avenue for spiritual growth or a barrier to it. Only on this foundation of understanding can one begin to discover and explore the possibilities of personal call to serve Christ. And call is so misunderstood in our denomination. It has been almost exclusively thought of in terms of those who feel called to ordination. We must help every person understand that God calls and equips them with passion and giftedness in addition to skill and innate talents and abilities.

There is alot of teaching, studying and discussion that needs to happen for people in our pews. This is foundational identity-in-God discernment. I think the church doesn't spend much time doing this work because it doesn't understand the value of it. And it is work. It is our loss because we don't emphasize discovery and discernment. Congregations will never be spiritually mature until the individuals in them do this critical stuff.

I think one of the reasons why leaders in congregations often act as if the church is just another non-profit is because they have never learned what differentiates the two. Leaders who understand the life changing call to be missional have a hugely different motivation to serve than leaders in non-profits. They are both about serving, but missionary leaders understand their call comes from God and doesn't eminate from any other need.

The 'aha' lightbulb moments this weekend were fun to watch. People began to say, "I now understand how God has uniquely made me for ministry." Holy visions surfaced, a number of persons left convicted with what they were called to do. I had a tremendous sense of gratitude knowing this effort was fruitful. Some told me it was "life changing."

There is lots of work to be done in our churches in this regard. I hope we will spend more time helping people understand and discover God's unique design on their lives. The results could be transformative and holy. What is more important than that?

2 comments:

  1. Recently I heard or read (can't remember when or where or said it, so I can't give appropriate credit) we should be wary of those who say they feel "called to full-time Christian ministry." The speaker's point was that we ALL are called to full-time Christian ministry, and a few are called to ordination. As a "called layperson" I couldn't agree more. The key, of course, in this full-time Christian ministry we're all called to is to be those people in whom God (as you put it so well) is glimpsed. We can do our ministry well or do it poorly, but we're on duty 24/7.

    I particularly enjoy teaching using the old SHAPE tool because it seems to draw on the real stuff of our lives which makes each of us a unique reflection of God's personality and helps us each discover our gifts and passions for mission and ministry.

    Thanks for the wonderful work you do in so many places, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so about time, someone is talking outloud about spiritual gifts. I had been a Christian for much of my life but thought surely there was more...good news there is ! Learning my spiritual gifts gave me permission to say no to those things that did not give me life and yes to those that did. My Christian faith came alive in technicolor after discovering my spiritual gifts. I am excited you are calling our churches to do this work.

    I think I recall something about the priesthood of ALL believers being the theology of our "new" prayer book. How long will it take for this message to get out?

    I hope as we all discover more fully our gifts and purpose in the Body of Christ we as a whole will be more captivating as we begin to resemble Christ more and more.

    Thank you Mary for leading the way on this.

    Peace,

    Robin+

    ReplyDelete